Friday, October 28, 2011
Reprinted from The Outdoor Wire
New Waterfowl Draw Hunt System for Mississippi WMAs
JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) has made some changes to its waterfowl draw hunt system for the 2011-12 season on several Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) across the state. Ed Penny, MWDFP Wildlife Bureau Director, explained, “Since waterfowl draw hunts began in 2002, we have noticed a trend that hunters who were drawn prior to the season were not showing up to fill their hunting permit. As a result, some aspects of the draw system were changed to increase the number of drawn hunters and to increase the number of reservation holders that participate in their permitted hunt.”
The following changes will be implemented during the 2011-12 waterfowl hunting season:
1) Applications for waterfowl draw hunts are only available online at xnetsecure.mdwfp.com/drawings/Public/wmaDrawings.aspx.
2) Each WMA with waterfowl draw hunts will have five separate draw periods throughout the hunting season. The first draw period, which covers the first two weeks of the season, will be open from October 1st to November 6th. There will be approximately two weeks from the closing date of an application period until the first hunt day included in that period.
3) There is $5 non-refundable application fee for each draw period; only the person listed on the draw application will be charged the fee.
4) Hunters are no longer limited to applying to only three WMAs.
5) All permitted hunts will be for one day.
6) Stand-by hunting opportunities will still be available on WMAs that have allowed them in the past. Hunters choosing to show up on stand-by will not be charged the application fee.
For more details on WMA waterfowl draw hunt changes, visit us online at home.mdwfp.com/waterfowl or call 601-432-2199.
Offering the largest and most comprehensive marketing solutions to land owners preparing to sell.
Employing the most powerful tools available to locate properties that best meet our buyers needs.
Our habitat professionals will meet you on site to discuss planning and improving your property to best meet your management goals.
Sartains Heritate Properties offers an award winning and nationally recognized land design team that can implement all aspects of land development.
Our partnerships have been cultivated between companies that show outstanding leadership, service, and continue to go the extra mile for their clients.
Amazing photos of our clients and the game caught on properties we helped them purchase.
Since 1954 we have assisted our clients in achieving their financial goals weather it’s buying, selling, leasing or the development of tracts, we can assist you in all aspects of your land needs. We employ the most powerful internet, regional and local marketing tools available to ensure that your property is seen by the buying public... Learn more »
Sartain’s Heritage Properties, LLC.
106 First Choice Drive
Madison, MS 39110